After much anticipation, we are so excited to share one of our most popular cake recipes - the lemon poppyseed! When we asked our followers which recipe they'd love to see shared, lemon poppyseed won with a staggering amount of votes! And, we think we know why.
This light and flavorful cake is perfect for your end of Summer gatherings. Worry about what to bring to your neighborhood Labor Day party no more, this cake is it! Check out the full recipe below, and be sure to tag @melissasfinepastries when baking. We'd love to see your work of art.
We suggest pairing this tasty treat with lightly sweetened whipped cream and summer berries. This recipe will make two 8" - 9" pans or one half sheet pan.
Butter 170 g
Sugar 332 g
Cake Flour 375 g
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Baking Powder 1 tablespoon
Water 1 3/4 cups
Egg Whites 180 g (6 ea)
Sugar 166 g
Lemon, 1 zested
Poppy seeds, 1/8 cup
1. Cream room temperature butter and 1st measurement of sugar
2. Add lemon zest and poppy seeds
3. Sift flour, salt and baking powder onto parchment paper
4. Alternate flour mixture with water until blended
5. In separate bowl, whip egg whites together and add second measurement of sugar to medium - stiff peaks
6. Fold meringue into cake batter, 1/3 at a time
7. Bake in convection oven at 325 degrees
Images by Arte de Vie